Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Birthday Surprises

Today, we are celebrating the day of birth of one Peter Wells Romenesko aka one of the most impossible people to buy a gift for, only because he has a tendency to buy himself the things that he wants.

Wednesday, January 19

Finally. I FINALLY thought of something to get Peter for his birthday. A Jordy Nelson Packer jersey. Peter's favorite Packer. THE PERFECT GIFT. So I tell my sister Jenna (screw respecting people's privacy) about it via gchat. She agrees. What a great gift.

ONE HOUR after I tell Jenna about this gift, I get an email from Peter. Please read the following correspondence (and I went back into my archives... This is all real conversation, kids):

promenesko: I need to go get a Packer jersey. We can wear jeans tomorrow and Friday if we are wearing jerseys.

svanderstappen: You're going to go buy a Packer jersey tonight just so you can wear jeans for the next two days?

promenesko: It was inevitable.

svanderstappen: Whose jersey are you going to get? Jordy?

promenesko: I doubt they sell his, but if so it's mine.

svanderstappen: I can't believe you're going to get it today.

promenesko: I'm going to be the only person in the office without a jersey. Even the Patriots fan has a Packer jersey!

svanderstappen: YOU'RE RUINING YOUR BIRTHDAY.

promenesko: Well. I can't find any that I'll be able to get for tomorrow. So now you ruined my birthday.

svanderstappen: THEY HAVE THEM AT THE PACKER PRO SHOP.

promenesko: They have 2XL at the Pro Shop. That's huge!

svanderstappen: I'M UPSET BECAUSE NOW I'VE GONE AND RUINED YOUR BIRTHDAY BECAUSE I THOUGHT YOU WERE RUINING YOUR BIRTHDAY.


Not one of my finer moments.

So now, I am upset because I've ruined Peter's birthday and I am back right where I started not knowing what to get him.

February 10, 2011

I broke down, went to the Packer Pro Shop and bought Peter the Jordy Nelson jersey. Even though he bought himself a Clay Matthews jersey. They didn't have any jerseys left, so I got a custom-made one (it looks the exact same as a regular jersey, but it costs more. Awesome.). FYI: You can't return custom-made jerseys.

February 11, 2011

Peter and I are heading to Lake Geneva for the weekend. After work, I went right to his apartment so that we could leave ASAP. There is a box from UPS at his apartment. I ask him what's inside...

Sara: So, what did you get in the mail?

Peter: *Holds up a t-shirt*

--FYI: 87 is Jordy Nelson. AWESOME.

Sara: ... Who's that for?

Peter: ... Doug ...

Sara: You got that for Doug? Not for yourself?

Peter: ... Well... I DID get two...

Sara: I am SO mad at you. You can't buy things for yourself when your birthday is less than a week away!!

Peter: Oh my God, did you get me this shirt?

Sara: NO. I am not telling you what I got you, but I am SO mad because you are RUINING your BIRTHDAY.

Peter: What? Well if you didn't get me this shirt, how am I ruining it? What did you get me?

Sara: I'M NOT TELLING YOU BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO RUIN YOUR BIRTHDAY.

Peter: Fine. Don't tell me.

2 seconds later

Sara: I GOT YOU A JORDY NELSON JERSEY FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY.

Peter: ... You did?

Sara: YES. AND YOU CANNOT RETURN IT BECAUSE IT IS CUSTOM-MADE.

Peter: You got me a custom-made Jordy Nelson jersey for my birthday? That's awesome! Sar. A shirt is different than a jersey.

Sara: I KNOW BUT YOU DIDN'T HAVE ANY JORDY NELSON STUFF BEFORE.

Peter: I'll still wear the jersey.

Sara: WELL NOW I'M MAD BECAUSE I REALLY RUINED YOUR BIRTHDAY.

Please take note that we are about to get into a car for 3 hours.

*About 2 minutes into the car ride*

Sara: ... Please don't tell anyone that I ruined your birthday.

Peter: I won't.


Dear Peter,

Thanks for putting up with me. For the record I DID get you another present yesterday because I felt guilty about ruining the good gift. But I won't tell you what it is - I'll let you open it and be surprised!

Love, Sara

1 comment: